Having Troubles Taking your Bariatric Vitamins? We’re Here to Help!
Take your vitamins. Seems simple enough, right? But according to a 2017 study (Sunil, et al.), as few as 30% of people who have had WLS take their vitamins daily by 6 months post-op. Most of the time it comes down to three reasons: 1. It’s hard to remember. 2. Vitamins aren’t well tolerated. 3. People don’t realize the importance of taking them. Since we’ve already talked about why to take your vitamins, let’s have a little chat about how to take your vitamins so that you both find the vitamins that work for you and remember to take them!
Having trouble finding vitamins that work for you?
- Order our Sample Pack to try our different varieties. It’s best to sample them a month or so after your surgery since tastes and how you tolerate them can differ before vs after surgery.
- Take your vitamins with a little food in your stomach. Taking vitamins on empty can make almost anyone feel nauseated or give them a sour stomach. This is especially true first thing in the morning.
- Spread out the dose. Taking the full daily dose all at once can be irritating.
- Take your vitamins before bed. If vitamins make your stomach slightly uncomfortable, some find it easiest just to sleep through it!
- Contact our customer service or dietitians directly if you need help navigating how to take your vitamins or finding which product works best for you.
Having trouble remembering to take your vitamins?
- Use reminders, like on our BariBuddy app!
- Take them at the same time every day to make it a routine.
- Couple taking your vitamins with something you already do every day, like brushing your teeth or taking other medications if you have them.
- Use a pillbox.
- Keep them visible. Out of sight, out of mind!
It can take some time to find the vitamins that work for you and to get into the groove of taking them. But with a little tenacity and using the tools available to you, you will get there! And remember, we are always here to help you along your journey, so don’t hesitate to contact us with questions or concerns!
Sunil S, Santiago VA, Gougeon L, et al. Predictors of Vitamin Adherence After Bariatric Surgery. Obes Surg. 2017;27(2):416-423. doi:10.1007/s11695-016-2306-x. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11695-016-2306-x on 12 August 2020.
Would you like to start or update your subscription? Click to order!